Skip to Main Content

Becoming an HCV Landlord

Interested in becoming a Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Landlord?
The role of the landlord in the HCV program is to lease decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The housing unit must pass the program's housing quality standards (HQS) and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments (HAPs).
  1. Contact Your Local Public Housing Authority (PHA)

    Landlords who would like to rent to voucher holders should contact their local PHA(s). The PHA may provide you with details on the local process and the method for posting your vacant units. The PHA may also share locally used websites or platforms for advertising available rental units. To find your local PHA's contact information, please click here.

  2. Select A Tenant

    The PHA admits eligible families to its HCV program. Select and approve one of these voucher holders based on your own rental criteria, then fill out the voucher holder's Request for Tenancy Approval form. The PHA must determine that the proposed rent is reasonable compared to similar units in the marketplace and not higher than those paid by unassisted tenants on the premises.

  3. Make Sure Housing Meets Minimum Standards

    An inspector will conduct an HQS inspection. All housing units with HCV tenants must meet the following thirteen (13) HQS performance requirements both at commencement of assisted occupancy and throughout the assisted tenancy:
    • Sanitary facilities
    • Water supply
    • Food preparation and refuse disposal
    • Lead-based paint
    • Space and security
    • Access
    • Thermal environment
    • Site and neighborhood
    • Illumination and electricity
    • Sanitary conditions
    • Structure and materials
    • Smoke detectors
    • Interior air quality

  4. Sign Lease and Hap Contract, and Start Receiving Payments

    Once you and the tenant sign a lease and you submit the signed lease to your local PHA, you will receive a HAP contract from the PHA to sign. Once the HAP contract between you and the PHA is executed, you will begin to receive monthly HAPs from the PHA and the remainder of the rent payment from the tenant.